Report of the Journey in Kurdistan (Iraq), through the following locations: Lalish, Alqosh, Dahuk, Amadiya, Aqurah, Soran, Rawanduz, Mount Korek, Bekhal, Shaqlawa, Sulaymaniyya, Halabja, Ahmedawa, Ahmad Awa Waterfall, Erbil.

  

Flight of the Pegasus Airlines Company from Orio al Serio to Erbil (Iraq), with a stopover at Sabina Gokcen airport in Istanbul (Turkey). Return ticket price, including taxes, with hand luggage only: Euro 550 (very high price as I traveled during the Christmas holidays).

 

So once you have reached the Sabina Gokcen Airport in Istanbul (Turkey), you must undergo a security check before arriving in the transit area.

 

Iraqi Kurdistan time zone: + 2h compared to Italy (+1 when summer time is in force in Italy).

 

Entry visa: only for Iraqi Kurdistan, it is not necessary for tourism up to a stay of 30 days. You can ask for confirmation from the efficient Honorary Consulate of Iraqi Kurdistan in Rome by writing an email to the following address italy@gov.krd. They will get back to you in a few hours. Keep in mind that if you intend to visit the rest of Iraq as well, you must have a visa (very difficult to obtain), before leaving by asking for it at the Iraqi Embassy in Rome.

 

 

Language: the official languages ​​are Arabic and Kurdish; English is generally known in large cities.

 

Muslim religion. There are also minorities of other religions (Sabeans, Yazidis).

 

Currency: Iraqi dinar. Sometimes the dollar is accepted.

 

Keep in mind that in Iraqi Kurdistan, there are numerous checkpoints, where sometimes your passport is checked, but the police are always nice to tourists and therefore there are no problems in this regard.

 

 

During my stay in Iraqi Kurdistan, the locals were very friendly.

 

The roads in Iraqi Kurdistan are in good condition and road signs are in both Arabic and English.

 

Once you arrive, at the Erbil International Airport, located about 6 km north-west of the center of the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, you must go to the border staff desk, where they take a photograph of you, take your fingerprints and without asking the reason for your stay and where you are staying, they quickly affix 2 entry stamps to the country.

There is an exchange office in the Airport Terminal, but having arrived at 3.00 at night it was closed.

I tried to ask the bartender if he changed my money but without success.

I tried to withdraw money with my Mastercard credit card, in the 2 ATMs present but without success.

From the Airport Terminal you must necessarily take the free shuttle, to reach the Meeting Hall after about 2 km, where there are bathrooms, a bar, but not the money exchange office.

I tried to ask the bartender if he changed my money but without success.

The taxi driver instead changed my currency at the following exchange rate 1 Euro = 1,250.00 IQD.

From the Meeting Hall of Erbil International Airport, I took a taxi at 5.00 am, at a price of 30,000 IQD, to reach the garage, located in the north of Erbil, where shared taxis leave for Dahuk.

Having arrived there at 5.30 am, there were only 2 passengers besides me willing to go to Dahuk and therefore I was offered to pay 15,000 IQD, instead of 10,000 IQD, to leave immediately. I accepted.

Half an hour after departure we stopped 10 minutes at a mosque for the dawn prayer.

 

Once in Al Shikhan, I got off and took a taxi, which for 60 USD, took me to visit Lalish, Lady protector of crops Monastery in Alqosh and Dahuk City.

 

Lalish is the site of the tomb of Sheikh Adi, a leading figure of the Yazidi faith. Keep in mind that everyone (including tourists) in Lalish has to walk without shoes, on the rocky roads and paths, even in winter when the cold is bitter.

 

Admission to the Lady protector of crops Monastery in Alqosh is free.

 

In Dahuk, I visited the beautiful artificial lake of Bendava Dihokè and its dam, the nearby Dahuk Valley Waterfall, the Bazaar and the Azadi Park, from which in its upper part you can enjoy a splendid view over the whole city, surrounded by beautiful mountains. . The park was closed but I told the caretaker that I was Italian and then he let me in.

 

From Azadi Park, located 2 km south of the center, I took a taxi to reach the latter for the price of 2,000 IQD.

 

In Dahuk, in 11 Aylol Road, near the Bazaar, there are money changers that apply the following exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1,320.00 IQD, 1 USD = 1,250.00 IQD,

 

From the collective taxi garage, located 200 meters away. to the southwest of the Bazaar, there are collective taxis that leave when full (4 seats), in the direction of Amadiya for the price of 8,000 IQD.

 

I waited about 1 hour before leaving. It was 12.30 and there was only one passenger besides me but the taxi driver left anyway and charged me the same rate. He also stopped twice, to allow me to photograph the splendid City of Amadiya from afar, perched on a rocky spur. The trip lasted an abundant hour and a half.

 

Amadya, I walked around it. I saw the Ancient Gate and then a Lady allowed me to go to the terrace to take wonderful photos.

 

Since it was already 3.30 pm there were no collective taxis going from Amadya to Dahuk, which are usually parked near the large statue in the city center, I had to pay 20,000 IQD, to the same taxi driver who had brought me here, to return to Dahuk.

 

In Dahuk, I slept at Hotel Bircin, located in Cinema Road, on the corner with Cadeya Kawey, in the center, 50 meters away. from the Bazaar, at the price of 25,000 IQD per night, for a room with air conditioning, heating, private bathroom, fully functional WIFI, television. The reception staff do not speak English.

 

In the morning at 6.30 I went on foot, covering about 300 meters. to the collective taxi garage, located 200 meters away. south - west of the Bazaar, but no collective taxi leaves until 8.00.

 

From Dahuk, during the day there are some collective taxis to Aqrah, which leave when full (4 passengers), but in my case it was just me and so I was proposed to take the collective taxi to Erbil and get off at Rovia and then take another means to Aqrah. I accepted the price of 8,000 IQD. The ride lasted an abundant hour.

 

When I arrived in Rovia, in a few minutes I found a car headed for Aqrah. I didn't quite understand if it was a collective taxi or if it was a kind gentleman who gave me a lift. The only sure thing is that I was the only passenger in that car and that I paid 2,000 IQDs to get to the southern outskirts of Aqrah and another 1,000 IQDs to get downtown.

 

Aqrah, is a splendid city, located in the middle of the mountains.

 

The best 360 ° view can be obtained by walking up in a few minutes to Sare Gri, where there is the inscription "Aqrah", the benches that offer an excellent view, the Cultural Movement, the Waar Cafè, the Henermend Statue and the Flag of Iraqi Kurdistam.

 

Then once in the center you can visit the Bazaar and venture into the beautiful alleys of Aqrah.

 

From the center of Aqrah, I took one of the many taxis, to reach the southern suburbs, for the price of 1,000 IQD.

 

From there I took a shared taxi to Soran. I was the only passenger. The ride lasted a generous 1 hour and cost me 10,000 IQDs.

 

In Soran, I got off near City Center Square (which is the most central point of the City), where I took a taxi to Rawanduz, costing 5,000 IQD. The ride lasted 10 minutes.

 

In Rawanduz, I let myself be dropped off, on the southern outskirts, shortly after the Hourse Monument and from there in a few minutes I walked to the edge of the Canyon. From here the view is sublime.

 

Then I went back to the main road and walked uphill through the whole City of Rawanduz until I reached the Wardash Monument and the Haji Abdullah Mosque.

 

From there I took a taxi for the price of 3,000 IQD to reach the cable car to Mount Korek.

 

The cable car costs 10,000 IQD round trip and takes about 15 minutes to reach Mount Korek, where there are bars, restaurants, various equipment for winter sports. From here you can enjoy a sublime view of the valley and the surrounding mountains.

 

Then I took the cable car again to go back down to the parking lot adjacent to it, where there is also the "The Ark of Noah" bar in the shape of a boat.

 

From here I walked downhill for about 1.5 km on a paved road, until reaching the village of Bekhal, where there is the beautiful waterfalls, a market and a hotel. There is a great view of the Canyon from the road bridge, but walking northwest on the paved road for several hundred meters you can still get some great views of Kenyon.

From there, in a few minutes I found a car headed for Shaqlawa. I didn't quite understand if it was a collective taxi or if it was a kind gentleman who gave me a lift. The only sure thing is that I was the only passenger in that car and that I paid 5,000 IQDs to get to Mirawa, 5km north-east of Shaqlawa and another 2,000 IQDs to get downtown.

 

 

In Shaqlawa, I slept at the 4-star Hotel Basmat Al Safeer, located in the center, Tel: 07504551751, 07704551751, at the price of 25,000 IQD per night, for a room with non-functioning air conditioning and heating, private bathroom, WIFI fully functional, television and abundant breakfast. The reception staff speak very little English.

 

Shaqlawa, I walked around it.

 

If from Shaqlawa, you want to reach Sulaymaniyya, you must go to the collective taxi garage, located at the intersection with the Ring Road at 300 meters. from Hotel Basmat Al Safeer, where I took a taxi, to Hizop for the price of 18,000 IQD. The ride lasted 45 minutes. I was the only passenger.

 

Numerous collective taxis and minibuses pass through Hizop to Sulaymaniyya.

 

I took a minibus for IQD 5,000, which took about 1.5 hours to reach Sulaymaniyy.

 

Because of a Lord who gave me misleading information, I went down to the extreme western outskirts of Sulaymaniyya.

 

From there I had to take a collective taxi for the price of 3,000 IQD, to reach the Amna Suraka Museum, located in Badirkhan 19 Street, open from 9.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00. Admission is free.

 

There are the tanks used in the War against Saddam Hussein, the Prisons and a touching Museum that tells the atrocities suffered by the Kurdish people during the regime of Saddam Hussein.

 

You can take as many photographs as you want.

 

On Salim Street, there is also the Slemani Museum, but at the time of my visit it was closed.

 

From there I took a taxi, costing 3,000 IQD, to reach Chavy Land, located on the northern outskirts of Sulaymaniyya,

 

Chavy Land is an amusement park with numerous attractions, such as the Ferris wheel, roller coasters, a museum, a pond, etc. Admission to the same costs 5,000 IQD, including the return ticket for the cable car. Monte Azmar, located within the park itself. Logically, the cost to use the various attractions is paid separately.

 

The cable car takes less than 10 minutes to reach the top of Mount Azmar, where there is a restaurant from which you can enjoy an excellent view of the city of Sulaymaniyya.

 

Once back in Chavy Land, I took a taxi for the price of 4,000 IQD, to reach Azadi Park., Where there are 2 ponds, bars and restaurants.

 

From there on foot I continued to the Bazaar and then to a square, where there are several monuments

 

There are money changers nearby but they close before 5.30pm (at least in winter).

 

To find any money changers open after that hour, you need to go to Salim Street.

 

I exchanged al Khafaf on Salim Street, at the following exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1,300.00 IQD.

 

in Salim Street, there are several statues that lend themselves to being photographed.

 

In Sulaymaniyya, I slept at Hotel Khanzad, located on Salim Street, almost opposite the Slemani Museum, Tel: 07701553747, 07501562704, for the price of 25,000 IQD per night, for a double with air conditioning and heating, private bathroom, WIFI fully functional, television, 2 bottles of water and a hearty breakfast. The reception staff speaks English.

 

From the Khanzad Hotel, to reach the Sharazoor Bus Terminal, located on the southern outskirts of Sulaymaniyya, a good 2 km from the center, I took a taxi for the price of 3,000 IQD.

 

From Sharazoor Bus Terminal, they depart when full Collective taxis and minibuses to Halabja. Please note that there are 2 different destinations for Halabja: Shahid and Taza. If you want to go see the Monument of Martyrs dei take the one for Halabja Taza. I only waited 10 minutes for the collective taxi to fill up. I paid for the ride for 6,000 IQDs and it lasted about 1 hour.

 

In Halabja I went down to the Monument of Martyrs located in the north - west suburbs, open every day from 9.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00.

 

The visit to the same is free.

 

It is possible to take photographs anywhere, except in the last room.

 

Adjacent to it is the Heritage Museum, which was closed at the time of my visit.

 

From the Monument of Martyrsm, I took a taxi costing 2,000 IQD, to reach the center of Halabja, where I visited the Bazaar, the exterior of the Pasha Mosque and a lovely park.

 

From there I took a taxi at a cost of 10,000 IQD, to reach the Zalm Village Mosque, where the paved road ends, about 5 km beyond Ahmedawa.

 

From there I continued on foot on a road that was partly unpaved and partly asphalted, heading north, for about 1 km, until I reached the bridge over the Zallim River. Just before it, I turned left and started climbing the stairs in the middle of the Baazar, for about 15 minutes until I came to the beautiful Ahmad Awa Waterfall. You don't pay anything to look at the waterfall.

 

Once back in Valle at the end of the stairs I asked for a ride first to a motorbike and then to a car to reach the collective taxi and minibus garage, located on the western outskirts of the city of Khurmal.

 

From there I took a Sulaymaniyy minibus for 3,000 IQD, which leaves when full. In my case I only had to wait 10 minutes before leaving. Duration of the ride: about 1 hour.

 

Having communicated to the driver that I wanted to reach Erbil, he left me in Sulaymaniyya near the Sharazoor Bus Terminal, where I took a minibus for the price of 500 IQD, which runs through the outskirts of Erbil from south - east to north - west, passing on the ring road adjacent to the Baghdad Garage.

 

From the Baghdad Garage, located on the western outskirts of Sulaymaniyya, numerous minibuses and collective taxis leave for Erbil all day when they are full.

 

While it is true that minibuses cost only 10,000 IQDs, it is also true that they take a long time to fill up and then to leave and are much slower than collective taxis.

 

For the reasons explained above I opted for a shared taxi which took only 15 minutes to fill up. The ride lasted less than 3 hours. The price of the same is 15,000 IQD.

 

My concern is that the aforementioned taxi passed through the northern suburbs of Kirkuk and therefore outside the borders of Kurdistan and therefore I could have had problems with the Iraqi Police as in that part of the country I had to have a Visa, which I did not possess. .

 

Fortunately, however, the taxi traveled the much more tortuous internal route, in the middle of the mountains passing through Dukan and Koya.

 

On the way to a check point I had to get out of the taxi and go to the dedicated desk to register. No problem. It took me less than 2 minutes.

 

In Erbil, the collective taxi finished its journey near the Mawlana Khalid NaqShbandi Mosque near Hafta Bazaar, in the eastern suburbs.

 

From here I took a taxi to Erbil Main Square, adjacent to the Citadel for the price of 3,000 IQD.

.

Erbil's Main Square with its many fountains that work in the evening is truly a sight.

 

In Erbil, I slept at the Zheen Hotel, located just west of the Qaysari Bazaar, at the beginning of the abandoned Arab Quarter, at the price of 15,000 IQD per night, for a double without air conditioning and without heating, bathroom in the room with a Turkish bath, Well-functioning WIFI, television. The reception staff speak very little English.

 

The next morning I visited the Abandoned Arab Quarter on foot. Then I went to the Citadel, a World Heritage Site, open every day from 9.00 to 17.00, with free admission. In front of the Grand Gate you can enjoy an exceptional view of the Main Square below.

 

 Inside the Citadel I visited the Kurdish Textile Museum at the price of 1,000 IQD and the Stones & Gems Museum. Priced at 1,500 IQD.

 

Then I crossed the whole Citadel until reaching the Ahmadi Gate, where you can enjoy a beautiful view over the north of Erbil.

 

Leaving the Citadel from Ahmadi Gate, I continued downhill until I found a beautiful square with fountains, from which I walked in a north - east direction until I first reached the large statue in Shekh Mahmoudi haffed int, then to the Monument located in Khairulla Abdulkareem int , then to the Khanzad Garden and finally to the Jalil Khayat Mosque, located in front of the Royal Mall.

 

At the time of my visit, Jalil Khayat Mosque was closed but already admiring it from the outside was a great satisfaction.

 

From the Jalil Khayat Mosque, I took a taxi for IQD 4,000 to get to Minare Park, which is free to enter.

 

The same was deserted. Inside you can see the Choly Minaret, Minaret Gallery, a gigantic statue, a walkway full of statues, a Hot Air Balloon, the model of Choly Minaret and the Citadel, Seyd Gaylan and finally the funicular that connects this park with that of Shanadar, which at the time of my visit it was closed.

 

Then I crossed the street and went to Shanadar Park, much larger than the previous one, inside which there are many statues, Shanidar Gallery and a beautiful pond.

 

Then I walked for several tens of meters before reaching the beautiful Gilkand park, whose main entrance is located in front of the University of Kurdistan.

 

After visiting the beautiful park mentioned above, I walked for about 800 meters. in a south-easterly direction, the first dir reaches the Erbil Civilization Museum (closed at the time of my visit), located in Kirkuk Street, a few tens of meters from the Quartz Hotel.

 

From there I walked for about 400 meters, in a north - east direction until I reached Iskan Street which is the Street of Street Food.

 

I then walked for almost 1km. in a north-west direction, before reaching the Main Square of Erbil, in the center of which, at the time of my visit, there was a beautiful Christmas tree.

 

To the east of it is the clock tower and the Khanaqa Mosque, to the west stands the Khanaqa Mosque, while to the north the Citadel stands out.

 

Also north of the square below the Citadel is Chaixanay Machko, which is the oldest bar in Erbil.

 

From there I took a taxi for the price of 3,000 IQD to reach the east entrance of the gigantic Sami Abdulrahman Park, located right in front of the Kurdistan Parliament.

 

Inside the Sami Abdulrahman Park, you can find which there are 2 ponds, several fountains, several monuments, Martyr's Monument, mini electric cars and a train.

 

After crossing it all, walking for about 2 km, I left the west gate, located right in front of the English Village.

 

From there I walked south - west for about 400 meters. before reaching the Italian Village.

 

Then I went to the adjacent English Village, which is highly guarded by the police.

 

Then from there I walked for about 1.5 km, before reaching the Empire Business Tower, the district where all the skyscrapers of Erbil are located. Well-maintained area perfect for taking great photographs.

 

From there I took a taxi for the price of 4,000 IQD, to reach the Qaysari Bazaar, adjacent to the Main Square and the citadel.

 

In the arcades of the aforementioned Bazaar it is possible to find improvised money changers. I changed money here at the following exchange rate: 13,500.00 IQD = 10 USD

 

From there I took a taxi for the price of 5,000 IQD to the Catholic neighborhood of Ankawa, located 6km north of Erbil Center.

 

Here I visited St. Joseph's Cathedral, Ankawa Park, the Murals, Saint George Church, Syriac Heritage Museum and Mart Shmoni Church. The churches in Ankawa are guarded both night and day.

 

From there I took a taxi to the International Airport, located 5 km southwest of Ankawa for the price of 5,000 IQD (I had to bargain heavily to get this price).

 

Before arriving at the Meeting Hall of Erbil International Airport, you must undergo police control with dogs trained for this purpose. On this occasion you have to get out of the car, open the trunk and pull all the suitcases out of the car.

 

Once you arrive at the Meeting Hall, you must go through security before taking the free shuttle that takes you to the terminal itself.

 

Then once you have checked in, you need to go to the border staff desk, where you can easily get the exit stamp from the country.

 

Then you have to go through the security check before reaching the gate.

 

Flight of the Pegasus Company from Erbil (Iraq) to Orio al Serio, with a technical stop in Ankara (Turkey) and with a stopover at Sabina Gokcen airport in Istanbul (Turkey). Return ticket price, including taxes, with hand luggage only: Euro 550 (very high price as I traveled during the Christmas holidays).

 

Once you have reached the Sabina Gokcen Airport in Istanbul (Turkey), you must undergo a security check before arriving in the transit area.

 

My complete travel report with map, photographs and videos is available at this link:

https://vivendosalendo.blogspot.com/2020/02/viaggio-in-kurdistan-iraq-attraverso-le.html

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento